Monday, October 15, 2012

In Good Hands

Looking for answers... it's something we all do. Death and the afterlife is something none of us have ever known. My mind is filled with questions about the entire process and what Bobby is experiencing now. More than anything I want him back, I want to erase September 9th. I want to see him and hug him as tight as he'll let me. I want to tell him how much I love him and punch him in the arm for not wearing his seat belt.

Religion has been a significant factor in how my parents have raised us. I'm grateful for the guidance and the faith I've gained from what I've learned at Treasure Valley Baptist church throughout my life. Now more than ever. I know I'll see Bobby again, I know our family will be together again someday and that he's waiting for us in Heaven... I can't imagine his excitement right now. I'm looking forward to seeing that little grin of his, to hearing his voice and knowing we'll never lose him again.

I recently read 90 Minutes in Heaven written by Don Piper, a true story of death and life. The author is an ordained minister who was in a severe accident involving a semi truck crushing his car, killing him instantly. While his body lay lifeless inside the ruins of his car, he experienced the glories of heaven, awed by its beauty and music.

Ninety minutes after the wreck, covered with a tarp and beyond hope, he miraculously returned to life on Earth with only the memory of inexpressible heavenly bliss.

"In my next moment of awareness, I was standing in heaven. Joy pulsated through me as I looked around, and at that moment I became aware of a large crowd of people. They stood in front of a brilliant, ornate gate...

As I try to explain this, my words seem weak and hardly adequate, because I have to use earthly terms to refer to unimaginable joy, excitement, warmth, and total happiness. Everyone continually embraced me, touched me, spoke to me, laughed, and praised God. 

Everything I experienced was like a first-class buffet for the senses. I had never felt such powerful embraces or feasted my eyes of such beauty. Heaven's light and texture defy earthly eyes or explanation. Warm, radiant light engulfed me. As I looked around, I could hardly grasp the vivid, dazzling colors. Every hue and tone surpassed anything I had ever seen. 

I felt loved- more loved than ever before in my life. I knew what the Bible means by perfect love. It emanated from every person who surrounded me."

Throughout the rest of the book he experiences some major life obstacles during recovery, facing some extreme injuries. He continually says that he didn't want to live, and only wanted to go back to heaven.

If you knew Bobby, you know that living a life filled with pain and limited abilities would have never been something he would have ever wanted. Seeing his spirit and his positive attitude crushed by severe injuries would have been heartbreaking for everyone. Not that this is any easier... Luke said to me right after the accident "I wish he would've just been hurt" I have to agree with him, though that's a selfish wish. He's protected from this world and in a much better place, that should make everyone happy or at least hopeful.

Knowing that he is not in pain, he is perfect in every single way, and he is with the one who loves him most, makes me feel at peace. I know I'll see him again, and that he'll be the most animated angel waiting to greet me.


"There Will Be A Day" Jeremy Camp
Sang by a wonderful family friend at Bobby's graveside service 








No comments:

Post a Comment